THE ALDRIDGE SOUTH EAST DANCE ACADEMY BTEC NATIONAL EXTENDED DIPLOMA IN PERFORMING ARTS (DANCE)
Connect with the best of the dance industry in Brighton & Hove and beyond for a brilliant, hands-on experience creating, learning and doing dance.
What is it?
- The BTEC National Extended Diploma in Performing Arts Dance) is a two-year, full-time course
- The qualification is equivalent in size to three A Levels
Who is it for?
It is for learners who are inspired by dance wishing to train in dance full time. To take this BTEC you will have successfully completed a Level 2 programme of learning with GCSEs and potentially some vocational qualifications. It is for learners who want to progress to higher education courses in performing arts areas before entering employment.
What will it cover?
As it is a vocational course, students complete projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations such as performances, auditions, workshop activities and the training demands of a dancer.
The course is made up of 13 units, 7 mandatory units of which 4 are externally assessed: mandatory content (67%), external assessment (42%).
The 7 mandatory units cover the following areas:
- Performance – practical exploration and application of skills and techniques, individual and group performance
- Research and analysis – research methodology, independent learning, extended writing, sourcing, idea generation, evaluating information and drawing conclusions from it
- Knowledge and skills for employment in performing arts – including self-promotion and marketing
The 6 optional units include training in three techniques from:
- Contemporary Dance Technique
- Street Dance Technique
- Jazz Dance Technique
- Tap dance Technique
- Classical Ballet Technique
With further optional units covering:
- Choreography for live performance
- Movement in performance
- Physical Theatre
- Musical Theatre
- Site specific performance
- Healthy dancer
What makes The Aldridge South East Dance Academy different?
The Aldridge South East Dance Academy is a unique collaboration between education and the dance industry, giving students the opportunity to study for a BTEC National Extended Diploma in Performing Arts (Dance) – the only centre in Brighton & Hove offering this qualification. Students will have the opportunity to work with respected members of the dance industry in partnership by South East Dance.
Designed for students who are keen to explore careers in the performing arts, South East Dance has worked closely with the Brighton and Portslade Community Academies to develop a dance curriculum which is truly unique, and which will be delivered by dance experts and specialists in their field. “The Brighton Curriculum” has been designed and commissioned to allow for dance to be developed and showcased in venues, attractions and locations across the city.